The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has issued new vaccination requirements for attendance in Pennsylvania schools, starting with the 2017-2018 school year.
Please click here to download an easy-to-read flyer outlining the new requirements.
ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
, a KOSD student must have had at least one dose of the following vaccinations or RISK EXCLUSION
from all KOSD school buildings.
- Tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis (DTap)* (1 dose on or after the 4th birthday). There are 4 doses of this vaccine.
- Polio** There are typically 4 doses of this vaccine.
- Measles, mumps, rubella*** There are 2 doses of this vaccine.
- Hepatitis B. There are 3 doses of this vaccine.
- Varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity. There are 2 doses of this vaccine.
*Usually given as DTP or DTap or if medically advisable, DT or Td
**A fourth dose is not necessary if a third does was administered at age 4 year or older and at
least 6 months after the previous dose
***Usually given as MMR
If a child does not have all of the doses listed above, needs additional doses, and the next dose is medically appropriate, the child must receive that dose WITHIN THE FIRST FIVE DAYS OF SCHOOL or risk exclusion. If the next dose is not the final dose of the series, the child must also provide a medical plan from the doctor WITHIN THE FIRST FIVE DAYS OF SCHOOL for obtaining the required immunizations or risk exclusion.
If a child does not have all the doses listed above, needs additional doses, and the next dose is not medically appropriate, the child must provide a medical plan from the doctor WITHIN THE FIRST FIVE DAYS OF SCHOOL for obtaining the required immunizations or risk exclusion. The medical plan from a doctor must be followed or risk exclusion from all KOSD school buildings.
FOR ATTENDANCE IN GRADE 7:
FOR ATTENDANCE IN GRADE 12:
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) ON THE FIRST DAY OF GRADE 7 OR RISK EXCLUSION. Please note that this is a different vaccine from the DTap vaccine required for entrance at any other grade level.
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) ON THE FIRST DAY OF GRADE 7 OR RISK EXCLUSION.
The vaccines required for entrance, 7th grade and 12th grade continue to be required in each succeeding school year.
- A 2nd dose of MCV BY THE FIFTH DAY OF GRADE 12 OR RISK EXLCUSION. If a second dose was given at 16 years of age or older, that shall count as the Grade 12 dose.
While a lead screening is not required for Kindergarten or New Student Registration, families who have completed the screening should provide a copy of the screening results along with the immunizaiton records.
For more information on the vaccines your student needs to attend school, please contract your student's school nurse or talk to your child's pediatrician.
- Aiken - 412-571-5236
- Dormont - 412-571-6150
- Myrtle - 412-571-3225
- Middle School - 412-571-6073
- High School - 412-571-6047