April is "Math Awareness Month" - Resources Available for Families
April is "Math Awareness Month" and parents/guardians are encouraged to utilize the following resources for more information on the importance of math.
- The website gettingsmart.com has a number of statistics and learning resources.
- The "With Math I Can..." video focuses on all of the things kids can do with math. Details:
"With Math I Can..." is a movement dedicated to changing society's approach and attitude toward math so all students can reach their full potential. Keystone Oaks is participating in this important program and we are excited to share some information about the ways you can get involved with your child at home.
Here is a short description about the program:
Have you ever heard someone say, "I'm not good at math," or "I'm just not a math person?" Maybe you have said these words yourself. "With Math I Can..." is a campaign designed to combat the damaging idea in society that "Some people just aren't math people" by reframing math attitudes using growth mindset research and by focusing on all the things kids can do with math.
You can support your child and join the movement in these four steps:
- Watch the video with your child at www.withmathican.org
- Ask your child "How do you feel about math?" Discuss ways you can both improve your mindset.
- Visit the resources page to learn strategies to bring growth mindset to your home.
- Share with others who should also join the movement.