Prior to the start of the 2014-2015 school year, the Keystone Oaks Board of School Directors adopted Policy 209.1: Food Allergy Management (available for download on the right hand side). This policy was adopted by the Board to protect students who have food allergies and also to raise a level of awareness that people with whom we come into contact with may have allergies to food, thus requiring special dietary accommodations.
The Keystone Oaks School District is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for student with documented food allergies and has established this policy to address food allergy management in District school in order to:
- Reduce and/or eliminate the likelihood of allergic reactions
- Ensure a rapid and effective response in the case of a severe or potentially life-threatening allergic reaction
- Protecting the rights of students by providing them, through necessary accommodations when required, the opportunity to participate fully in all school programs and activities, including classroom parties and field trips
- Ensure a safe environment for any individual inside a District facility
The focus of the Food Allergy Management Policy is on prevention, education, awareness, communication and emergency response.
In order to reduce and/or eliminate the likelihood of an allergic reaction, the Food Allergy Management Policy includes the following guidelines:
- Food may only be served and/or consumed in designated non-instructional areas, such as the cafeteria and staff lounges, except on a case-by-case basis where a student has medical or special education needs that must be met.
- For events that include food, faculty, staff, parents/guardians and students must submit must submit the type of the food and the complete ingredient list to the main office in each building 72 hours prior to that food being served to allow school personnel to review and approve, and provide a reasonable and similar substitution for the affected student. Food that is not pre-approved cannot be served and will be sent home.