Throughout the course of the schoolyear, there will likely be times that the Keystone Oaks School District may need to delay or close school. While the District understands that the decision to open or close school in bad weather has a major effect on families, the top priority is always the safety of our students. Please understand that the decision to open or close school is based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions from transportation staff and from the police;
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated;
- Temperature and wind chill;
- Building conditions (such as whether we have electricity and heat); and
- Consultation with neighboring school districts.
The superintendent is responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors and recommendations from transportation providers and local police departments. Every effort is made to make the decision as soon as possible.
Keystone Oaks' School Messenger notification system will be utilized to generate a telephone call message to home or mobile phone numbers, an email message, and a text message, depending on parent/guardian preferences.
In addition, the District will also update the website, www.kosd.org, and Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts with delay or closing information. You can also tune in to KDKA-TV, WTAE-TV, and WPXI-TV.
Keep in mind that even if weather conditions worsen, the decision to delay or cancel school cannot be reversed in the morning without jeopardizing the safety of the students. Once the decision is made to open the schools, many parents rely on the decision and leave for work.
For students that attend Parkway West Career & Technical Center:
- On days when the High School DOES NOT have classes and Parkway West IS IN SESSION, students will be transported as per the bus passes sent home, with the following change: Bus Number 7 or 8 - A.M. Morning Parkway students will be taken to their stops when returning from Parkway classes.
- On days where the District IS ON A TWO-HOUR DELAY but Parkway IS NOT, our students WILL attend Parkway. Anytime that Parkway is on a two-hour delay, our students WILL NOT attend Parkway
If you do not feel as though it is safe for your child to attend school, use your best judgement on whether he or she should attend. Also, please discourage teenagers from driving in bad conditions.